Up until 1978, many house builders used paint that contained lead. Lead is extremely hazardous, especially to young children in early development stages.
Salt Lake County administers grant funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to qualifying homeowners, renters, and landlords to make homes lead safe for children.
In order to qualify for a grant to remove lead paint hazards from your residence:
- The property must have been built prior to 1978
- The property must be located anywhere within Salt Lake County
- Resident must be pregnant or must have children under 6 years old living in or frequently visiting the property (6 hours per week/60 hours per year)
- Property must be properly insured if located in an area with a flood hazard (as determined by FEMA)
- Property must be your primary residence
- Must be over 18 years old with an income at or below 80% of the current area median income